One knitter's battle to conquer the intended gauge . . .

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Spinning Show & Tell: First Yarn from the Drop Spindle



I am joining with Sarah's Spinning Show and Tell, so all you experiences spinners, don't laugh at my first attempts with my Turkish drop spindle I showed off in this video. Considering my first skein made on the spinning wheel at my class, I am really proud of this little bit of yarn.

I am using the left over corriedale cross top that I dyed using kool-aid, with my children.  It should make for a colorful skein of yarn. No matter since I do not think I will be knitting with this first one anyway. I'll keep it as an example of how far I have come (hopefully) in a few months.

It is amazing how spinning can be both relaxing and frustrating all at the same time. When I took my spinning class the instructor told us that once she started spinning she stopped really knitting that much. I am starting to see how that could happen. It is addicting. (Don't worry dear husband I am still going to knit through my stash! :)


6 comments:

  1. Is it a bad sign that I laughed when you said you were going to knit through your stash after talking about how you are going to be spinning (i.e. less knitting more stash)?

    Looks awesome, I want to start drop spindleing, I have never spun but I have even dreamt that I was spinning on a drop spindle so I am thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No that isn't bad! I actually hadn't thought of the additions I would make to the stash since all my spinning so far is not producing knitable yarn (yet). :)

      Delete
  2. I have found that I am knitting a lot less too. I need to get knitting before I make too much more yarn though! :D

    This is so fun - I love that you dyed it with the kids and I REALLY want to get a Turkish spindle to give it a try - seems very logical to me!

    Thanks for linking up xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Sarah!! Your spinning is inspiring me!

      Delete
  3. I've got a turkish spindle and it's fab - I would love to do more spinning - but no less knitting. Not sure how that'll work? Maybe I'll flag cooking and cleaning to make some extra hours in my day ....
    Looking good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I totally agree. If we could just outsource cooking and cleaning we would have time for all these hobbies!

      Delete