Hearts Knit Together #19: Weaving Cards with Children

Hearts Knit Together was born out of my struggle to balance my desire to create with my busy life as a working mother of four. I am challenging myself to do something creative WITH my children each week and to share that adventure with you on Mondays. I invite you to share your creativity with your children so that we might inspire each other with ideas to help "knit our hearts together." 

If you want to join me, write a blog post about something creative you did with kids and share your link in the comments. No rules really, only that your link is current and something about creating with children. They don't even have to be your own kids. Please remember to link back to The Gauge Wars so that others who may want to join can find it. Pretty simple. Your post can be from any day of the week. It doesn't have to be Monday. Thank you for participating! 









So I am really intrigued with weaving but seriously I cannot add another fiber art to my list right now. So I am starting out simple with paper weaving with my little boys. They liked "fixing" the strips I cut with scissors and watching me weave their cards. But did do some of the weaving if I started the strip. It was a bit of a challenge for them but they are learning.

Make your own by cutting cardstock in half so you have two sheets of 8 1/2 inches by 5 1/2 inches. Fold one of those in half and cut slits up to the fold on the front of the card. Cut strips from a separate sheet of cardstock as wide as your slits in the card and 5 1/2 inches long. Weave those threw the slits in the card and push to the top of the fold. When all the card has been woven put clear tape on the back to hold the strips in. Fairly straight forward.

There are some fun projects in this book. And a tutorial for making your own loom with PVC pipes. Maybe that is in our future. The child weaving on that loom is doing so while riding in a canoe, which just cracks me up. Why a canoe? It seems the strangest place to show that the loom is portable.

Now that we have our family rhythm the boys are really holding me accountable for it. "Mom it is our craft day! We need to do something!" Of course that doesn't apply to Mondays when it is cleaning day. :)

Happy Monday!

Labels: , ,