Day 1: The House of Bee

4KCBWDAY1


My ancestors were pioneers who came over from western Europe and crossed the plains into the Salt Lake Valley. At the time, Utah was called the State of Deseret, deseret meaning honeybee in the Book of Mormon. Utah is known as the Beehive State representing industry, perseverance, thrift, stability, and self reliance, all bee-like virtues respected by the early settlers. So it comes as no surprise that I am sorted into the house of bee.

Just as my pioneer ancestors were busy and industrious in their lives, so am I in my knitting life, going from one project to another, as I see the need arise. Unfortunately it really is impossible to knit for every need in everyone's life. And I get a little bogged down with works in progress as I try to knit for everyone...


Example: Christmas knitting just wasn't enough for me this year so I decided to knit Valentine's Day gifts for my four children as well. My daughter got a new sweater on February 1. My other one actually got new socks on February 14. And pictures above are my sweet boys with their Valentine's Day vests, on Easter....yes, 6 weeks later I finished them.

The Milo pattern is super fun. And Georgie Hallam is a genius designer but this Worker Bee may be a bit ambitious. On January 1, I made a list of all the birthday, baby, etc. knitting I planned to do through July. I figured in August I needed to start thinking about Christmas. I have since realized/been reminded that knitting under deadlines kind of takes some of the fun out of it. I have decided to still knit for my children and others but to just surprise them on ordinary days with finished projects as they come off the needles. No pressure. (Remind me of this come Christmas time, please).


Labels: , , ,