The Miracle of Spinning with a Silk Blend


 
I attended the Great Basin Fiber Arts Fair in August with my sister in law and purchased my first silk/merino blended fiber from the Fiber Addict. It is a merino/tussah silk blend (70/30) in the Jamaica colorway. I knew that I wanted to buy some fiber but I wasn't sure what type when I went. I was just looking for the most bang for my buck. And this fiber was it. The price was good. It is beautiful colors; purple, yellow, blue, green, orange, and white. I am planning to 2 ply it and hoping that doesn't muddy the colors too much. I'd be disappointed if it all turned out a little brown.

I am pretty sure that I always want to spin with a silk blend from now on. It drafts like a dream and is the thinnest that I have been able to spin.  Okay I don't have that much experience spinning other fibers than wool and maybe my alpaca roving will be just as amazing but I seriously love this silk/merino blend. It was 4 oz and I am shocked by how many yards I have been able to get out of it so far. Yay for spinning progress!!! Spinning is so meditative. If I can just sit for 15 minutes and spin, I get up in such a better place mentally. It is better than yoga, deep breathing, counting to 10, meditation, etc for helping me come back to a happy place.

I numbered my toilet paper rolls so I could ply the "bobbins" I spun first with the ones I spun last in hopes of getting a pretty even yarn even with the progress I have made in my spinning. I am not sure what I will make with the yarn. I will have to wait and see how many yards it really is. I didn't know how to do that with the singles without putting it on my niddy noddy or without a scale. So I just guesstimated on how much to put on each roll, trying to make it look even. We will see how I did when plying time comes.

I finished Insurgent. Frankly I kind of hate these suspenseful books that I can't seem to have enough self control to put down. It is annoying. I am a little tired of the dystopian young adult romance/violence novels. I decided after finishing book 2 that I was not going to read book 3. So I asked my sister how it all ended. She told me everything she remembered but that left more questions than answers so I picked up book 3 anyway today at the library. Dang it. I just need to get it all out of my system and move on. :)

Joining with Ginny, Nicole, and Andrea.

Labels: , , ,