Contrary Cabled Cowl - Worsted Weight Version






Now that I have finally published my Contrary Cabled Cowl pattern, I can show you the first one I made. It is in worsted weight yarn, so to adjust to the thinner yarn I made the cables 8 stitches instead of 6 so that changes your cast on number a bit. And I used size 10 needles. Other than that it is the same pattern. With those two adjustments I was able to get the same dimensions for the finished project as mentioned in the pattern. 

I made it for my little Maeve last Christmas (sad that it took 9 months for me to make time to publish the pattern!).  Malabrigo yarn is the perfect yarn for her.  So soft. Her itch factor is high, she is easily irritated by uncomfortable things. It is a Rios yarn in the Zarzamora color way. One of my favorites. I'm pretty partial to purples when it comes to my knitting. I borrowed this a few times last winter to wear while skiing, when my older daughter, Adelle, wasn't wearing it...

Let me tell you a little story about Maeve and I this weekend. She had a play date on Friday after school and by the time I picked her up a little after 6 she had not eaten since lunch time. Apparently she said she didn't like anything that the other mom offered for an after school snack and Maeve didn't give her any ideas of things she did like. So as soon as Maeve got in our car she was a GROUCH! Hot, tired, or hungry really does Maeve in. Unfortunately dinner and a good night sleep didn't help her attitude and Saturday was pretty brutal too. 

It didn't help that I had decided that Saturday we were going to do some spring fall cleaning in the house and weeding in the garden as a family, two of Maeve's least favorite things to do. We had to take separate time outs in our rooms to survive the afternoon without hurting each other. That night as I prayed for forgiveness for losing my patience and to be filled with a greater love for her, to be filled with Charity, with Christ's unconditional love for her, I immediately felt the Holy Spirit strongly. I was forgiven and the Lord was comforting me, helping me to feel I could be/do better the next day. The Spirit is real. It brings a warm, peaceful feeling, like being wrapped in our Heavenly Father's arms. He understands that parenting is difficult at times but that with His help we can do it. I am so grateful for this experience!

Sharing with Ginny, Nicole, and Andrea.

Oh yeah, I finished two books lately that I really recommend. Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver. I finished that Saturday while I was taking a timeout in my bedroom. I'm still a little sad about how the book ends for the main characters, even though you see it as inevitable as you are reading, I was still sad that it didn't work out. And One Came Home by Amy Timberlake. It is a Newbery Honor Award winner. It isn't really about the passenger pigeons but they play a part in it. It was interesting to read about them. I didn't know anything about them until Paula from the Knitting Pipeline podcast talked about them a few episodes ago. She talked about the Fold the Flock website, people who are remembering the 100 year anniversary of the passing of the last passenger pigeon by folding one million origami pigeons. It is one of those things that I want to do with my kids but have not yet...

Labels: , , , , ,