Hearts Knit Together #40: Postcards of our Garden




As I laid in bed this morning my stress level was rising about all that I need to accomplish before Friday morning. What happens on Friday you say? THE ALCAN. The Alaskan Canadian Highway. One mini van. One mama. Four children. 3000 miles. Alaska or bust. I'm taking my children to see my homeland. It is an epic adventure. Dear husband is staying behind to film a movie.

So this summer will be busy but full of beauty that I want to share with you all. So I'll send you postcards. Keep you up to date. Hopefully none of them will be of me on the side of the road changing a flat tire or with my hood up.

All of our creative time lately has been spent in the yard. We have this huge, amazingly beautiful, and quite overgrown yard. So it has been time consuming to get some of the gardens and plants tamed this spring before I leave. The boys love to collect all the nasty snails for me. My favorite flowers to plant are petunias. They bloom beautifully for a long time. Are rather hard to kill. And come in my favorite color, purple. I found that fun pot in my backyard, which is full of treasures. Like a rose garden. 6+ rose bushes in the yard. Gorgeous. The boys and I have planted tomatoes, basil, chives, parsley, cilantro, and thyme in one garden box. Spinach, arugula, and peas in another. Cucumbers, zucchini, and butternut squash in a third. Raspberry bushes in a fourth. And hopefully pumpkins in a fifth garden box today. None of which did I need to build. We inherited the best yard. Full of garden boxes, cherry tree, apricot tree, peach tree, a grape vine, and our walnut tree.

Between time spent in the gardens with the children and training for the Anchorage marathon and the Top of Zion relay I've had little time for other things. But the relay happened this weekend. I love the alienish picture my sister took of me. 195 miles between 12 runners, from Capitol Reef National Park to Zion National Park. Amazing and so much fun.

Gotta go. 5 days and counting.

Labels: ,