Hearts Knit Together #26: How to Make a Death Star Pinata and other Star Wars Party Ideas

Hearts Knit Together was born out of my struggle to balance my desire to create with my busy life as a mother of four. I am challenging myself to do something creative WITH my children each week and to share that adventure with you on Mondays. I invite you to share your creativity with your children so that we might inspire each other with ideas to help "knit our hearts together." 

If you want to join me, write a blog post about something creative you did with kids and share your link in the comments. No rules really, only that your link is current and something about creating with children. They don't even have to be your own kids. Please remember to link back to The Gauge Wars so that others who may want to join can find it. Pretty simple. Your post can be from any day of the week. It doesn't have to be Monday. Thank you for participating!




Death Star Pinata






I am a bit behind in my creative posts, like a month :). But I still wanted to show you the pinata the boys and I made for Jude's birthday party. I found this tutorial that used a soccer ball pinata but since it was just after Halloween the pumpkin pinatas were on clearance and I couldn't pass up that deal. So I first turned the pumpkin into a soccer ball, then the Death Star. I am sure there was an easier way (like just making lines with the tape) but I thought this made the most sense to me at the time, in my post Halloween craziness mind set.

Step 1: Cut off the stem
Step 2: Cut out hexagon shapes out of dark construction paper
Step 3: Tape the hexagons on, trying to resemble the look of a soccer ball
Step 4: Spray paint it silver

Pretty simple. The boys helped with almost every step and thought the spray paint was extremely cool. At the party we used the lightsaber for a little while then switched to the hurling stick that my husband brought home from his travels to Ireland. That was much more effective for cracking this baby open. I am pretty convinced that your party could suck but if you include a pinata none of the children will remember the rest of the party. And if everyone goes home with their bones intact, your pinata was a success. (Speaking of broken bones - I am going downhill skiing today for the first time in 8+ years. Here is to hoping I don't break my collar bone. Again. I am a little nervous but excited.)

Here are some photos from the rest of the Star Wars party, if you need some ideas for a Star Wars themed party. It was relatively small, just Jude's cousins and a friend from church. But plenty big for this non-party throwing type of mom. My husband did a fantastic job drawing Yoda for Pin the Ears on Yoda and making the Star Wars cake. He is pretty amazing like that.
 
Pin the Ears on Yoda



Bounty Hunter Cake


Hans Solo in Carbonite/Jello

Activities not pictures included:

Labels: ,