One knitter's battle to conquer the intended gauge . . .

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Work in Progress: Spinning Blue Faced Leicester (BFL) Top

In August I visited the Great Basin Fiber Arts Festival in South Jordan, Utah. Joel and the children came with me. It was an interesting experience. So many fun things to see. The kids loved to watch people spinning on their spinning wheels and the weavers on their looms. Mostly we saw wool and alpaca fibers. One alpaca farmer has my Maeve pretty convinced she wants an alpaca for a pet. 


I knew that I wanted to buy some more fiber at the festival, but only one. I wavered back and forth between a BFL top and alpaca. After talking to the alpaca farmer, who suggested I start with a rug grade alpaca top since I had never spun alpaca before, I decided to go with the BFL. It seems like the alpaca was maybe still beyond my spinning skills. 


The indie dyer at Wasatch Watercolours had some amazingly beautiful tops. They were all named after different mountains, national parks, and other outdoor wonders in Utah. I chose this purple beauty named Canyonlands. I really love the colors. 


It hasn't been too difficult to spin. I have been really trying to be consistent but you can tell that it is still a challenge. I am getting better and going back and fixing the slubs, thick places, in the yarn.  It isn't perfect by far but I am still really pleased with how it is turning out. I think this will be the first hand spun that I will actually knit with. I want to make this ribbed cowl from the Purl Bee. I think it will work well with the hand spun. Thoughts?


As far as reading goes, I stayed up until 1am yesterday finishing this 900 page book, The Undaunted by Gerald Lund.  It is about the Mormon pioneers that were called by our prophet to settle near the San Juan River. They are referred to as the Hole in the Rock Pioneers because they took their wagons through a narrow and steep crevice in the rim of Glen Canyon on their way across the Colorado River. We hiked that trail while we were down at Lake Powell over Labor Day weekend. It is madness to think of taking a wagon done that trail and yet no one was killed. The book is interesting and Lund does a good job of weaving historical facts with his fictitious main characters. I enjoy historical novels. Regardless of your feelings about the Mormons, it is pretty amazing to read about the miracles that took place during this unbelievable trek. It is hard to deny that God was watching over them. 

Joining with Ginny, Tami, Nicole, and Sarah. Go check out other knitting and spinning projects. 


20 comments:

  1. your spinning is really looking great! it's going to be a beautiful cowl!! (really like the spindle, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your spinning skills, looks beautiful to me :) I am only a knitter but I appreciate the spinning skill immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Watch out the spinning bug might bite you soon!

      Delete
  3. I've seen that cowl in another YA post this morning; yours will be gorgeous with that beautiful yarn you're spinning. :) I admire anyone who not only knits, but creates the yarn with which to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, forgot to say that your header is adorable...gauge wars. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My boys are always really excited to see it!

      Delete
  5. Your spinning looks awesome. I love the way the fiber looks and the way it is spinning up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that you did a great job with the spinning. The colors are fantastic and would look wonderful knitted up in the ribbed cowl pattern. I am spinning my second handspun yarn with the knitpicks turkish spindle and really enjoying it. How was the BFL as a fiber for a newbie spinner? My first handspun was out of Corriedale roving which has a long staple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My first was Corriedale too. Honestly I don't notice that much difference with the BFL. You should try it next.

      Delete
  7. I can't comment on your spinning, but I do want to say that thick-and-thin yarn has its own beauty, so don't feel too bad about your newly spun yarn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your spinning looks awesome and that color is gorgeous!!! Glad you finished that beast of a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Adelle is working her way through the book now.

      Delete
  9. This article is mind blowing. When I read this article, I enjoyed.

    book publicist

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks lobely and the colours are just beautiful. I think the cowl is perfect - I have planned to make something very similar with some of my handspun :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! You are pretty much my inspiration to keep practicing my spinning.

      Delete