Work in Progress: Two at a Time Kai-Mei socks




I am still working on my Kai-Mei socks by Cookie A with bomb pop yarn by Candy Skeins. Since I don't like carrying around two balls of yarn to knit socks two at a time, or knit socks on circular needles for that matter, this is my method of two at a time socks to avoid second sock syndrome.

I divide my skein of yarn into two balls. On a double pointed needle I knit the leg, heel flap, and turn the heel then stick that sock on circular needles. Then I cast on and do the same with the other ball of yarn. I am on the heel flap with the second sock now. I will finish that sock completely then go back and shape the gusset and knit the foot on the first sock. This method works for me to finish two socks almost at the same time. It is just so discouraging to finish one sock and then have to go and start completely over casting on with the first. I love that when I finish one, I am already half way done with the second. It seems faster to knit socks this way to me.

I have been making such progress on these socks because I have been carpooling with friends to work this month. I tried knitting my cable sock in the car but had to keep fixing mistakes until I finally had to frog it and start over. But that is a post for another day. The Kai-Mei legs are such that it takes no brain to knit them so I can listen and chat in the car without mistakes. My co-worker who has driven the last two days said to me yesterday, "I know I should admire you for making your own clothes, but I just think it is weird." He wasn't trying to be rude. He was actually praising some of my better qualities and just couldn't really go there with my knitting. It made me laugh. Some people just don't understand...

I am still reading Quitter. My favorite part this week is his discussion on the problem with perfection.  He is writing about chasing your dream job but these two quotes are applicable to more than that. It is about overcoming the fear of not being good enough and of not wanting to try until you can be perfect. He says quantity produces quality. We have to practice to get better. As knitters we know this. We have put in our time practicing knitting, frogging, and reknitting. Here is his quote I like though, "90% perfect and shared with the world always changes more lives than 100% perfect and stuck in your head." I like that. Stop being fearful and just do what you love to do.

Labels: ,