Hearts Knit Together #13: Sculpting with Mud

Hearts Knit Together was born out of my struggle to balance my desire to create with my busy life as a working mother of four. I am challenging myself to do something creative WITH my children each week and to share that adventure with you on Mondays. I invite you to share your creativity with your children so that we might inspire each other with ideas to help "knit our hearts together."

If you want to join me, write a blog post about something creative you did with kids and share your link in the comments. No rules really, only that your link is current and something about creating with children. They don't even have to be your own kids. Please remember to link back to The Gauge Wars so that others who may want to join can find it. Pretty simple. Your post can be from any day of the week. It doesn't have to be Monday. Thank you for participating!





                                               
In a few short weeks we will be leaving Kansas for a new life in Utah. Normally there isn't much to brag about Kansas weather, but that was before I found the lake at night. It is the perfect time to go. No sunscreen needed. No crowds. And perfect temperature for swimming and playing in the sand/mud. In Utah swimming at night is chilly but in this humid weather we can play in the water happily until dark. I will miss that.

My Maeve will be 7 next Saturday. She loves to use play doh and has been asking for something better, so her sculptures will last longer. Joel and I found some great air dry clay online with some acrylic paint for her big day that I am sure she is going to love. Until then, she had so much fun sculpting with the mud at the lake. In the photo above she was posing with her masterpiece, a big ball of mud. She was very proud of it.

My oldest was a little artist at this age too. Wanting to draw and paint often. But as she got older that has really stopped. I am not sure if she lost interest or lost confidence in her artistic ability. It makes me sad. I try to encourage her as much as possible to keep creating, but her projects are few and far between. If it is lack of interest I am okay with that. But I am afraid that it is a result of comparing herself to others. She is a bit of a perfectionist which stops her from trying at times. Any ideas to help her past that?


Labels: ,