Marigolds' Loft: Needles - Tools of my Craft - DPNs


Kollage 7 in. Square Double Point Needles
Marigolds' Loft: Needles - Tools of my Craft - DPNs

Natalie over at Marigold's Loft has posted an article about double pointed needles (DPN). I wanted to share my experience in the case that it might help someone. I was terrified of DPNs until I read one of the Yarn Harlot's books and just had to find out what all this craziness about sock knitting was. So I headed to my LYS for the cheapest sock yarn around. I didn't want to spend a lot in case I hated it or, more importantly, couldn't do it. I bought Bryspun needles because they were in my price range. I knit my gauge swatch and went back to the shop. At the gauge I was knitting, I needed size 0 needles. Frankly that terrified me as a new DPN knitter. I looked at the store clerk at the Yarn Barn with terror in my eyes I am sure. That is when she let me in on a little secret. She said with square DPNs knitters are often able to knit to gauge when on regular circular DPNs they are not. They are a little pricier but being able to knit on size 2 versus size 0 needles might make all the difference in me liking sock knitting. So I bought a set of Kollage square double pointed needles and I have never regretted it. I was able to knit that basic sock pattern to gauge. I LOVE sock knitting on my square needles. I get to knit socks in a few weeks instead of the months it would take on size 0 needles. I usually knit with three and use the fourth to work the stitches except when I am picking up stitches after turning the heel. I will use 4 needles to hold stitches and knit with the fifth until I am back to the original stitch count. It seems less restricting that way for me. Very, very happy with square needles and the wonderful employee at my LYS!!

Labels: , ,