Hearts Knit Together #1: Finger Knit Flowers


I have been struggling to balance my desire to create beautiful things with my busy life as a working mother of four. It doesn't bother me so much that my housekeeping gets put on the back burner sometimes but I have found that lately my children's demands for my attention have been, sadly, annoying me as I try to do too much in my days off. Somewhere in my busy life I have began to lose a little of the joy of motherhood. It is hard for me to admit that. I think it is the guilt I feel that I "should" be doing something with/for my children when I selfishly sit down to knit, blog, read, etc. I know it is important to do self care as a mother but I wonder sometimes if I am being too selfish with my time, not giving enough of it to my children. It is the balance I think I am missing. I believe in moderation in all things. And I have not been practicing that. Spending too much time pursuing my own interests. Not taking advantage of the short time I have these children in my home.

I realize that this idea is not the cure all for my struggle I described above but it is something I have been thinking about lately. I feel I need to spend more time engaged with my children (not just feeding, bathing, disciplining, etc.) Since I also feel like my time to create is limited I have wanted to combine these two desires. Hearts Knit Together is born out of this. I am going to challenge myself to do something creative with my children each week. I will share that adventure with you on Mondays. Many of you are amazingly creative and are so good at crafting with your kiddos. I invite you to share your weekly creativity with your children here. Please share and inspire me with things I can do with my children to "knit our hearts together."

Sunday was a great start. My older daughter, Adelle, and I pulled out my bag of acrylic yarn and watched a video about finger knitting. We made these two flowers and have decided to take them to the cemetery to put on graves for Memorial Day. It was her idea to put them by the first husband and wife that we find in the cemetery. She also made a bunch of finger knit strands of rainbow yarn that she wants to decorate other graves with. In fact, she told me that now she won't bug me about my obsession with knitting because she is addicted to finger knitting! It was a nice afternoon spent together.



If you would like to link up and share your current creations with your children please leave your link below. No rules, only that your link is current and something about creating with children. They don't even have to be your own kids. Please remember to link back here so that others who may want to join Hearts Knit Together can find it. Pretty Simple. Remember your post can be from any day of the week, it doesn't have to be Monday. And you don't have to leave a comment. Mr. Linky automatically says that.



Sharing this with Keep Calm Craft On

Labels: ,