Teaching children to knit

I am a homeschooling mom. Kind of. I have a daughter in public school that we taught at home until 2nd grade. And we are currently homeschooling my daughter who would be in kindergarten. I sort of follow the Charlotte Mason ideas for homeschool education. One of the things that Charlotte emphasized in her teaching was handicraft. I love knitting, obviously, and I had this dream of my daughter's knitting lovingly next to me. So I taught my first child to knit.
She started this scarf a few years ago. I have since tried to encourage her to make it into a head band, thinking if it seemed less daunting to finish she might want to work on it. No luck. I think she is at the stage where she won't like knitting because I do. So much for my dream.

Daughter #2 asked me to teach her to "knid" recently. I found these great poems to help her learn, I am not sure of the author. But mostly "knidding" to my dear Maeve means her sitting on my lap while I knit on her project. I think she likes knitting to get my attention. Typing that makes me feel like a bad mother. Why does guilt come so easy to women? Anyway here are the poems if you are dreaming of knitting along side your children...

For knitting
In through the front door,
Once around the back,
Peek through the window,
And off jumps Jack!

For purling
Under the fence,
Catch the sheep,
Back we come,
Off we leap!

Labels: